Hi Crafters!! Here are some fun projects, my daughter requested for a silent auction at her work. I chose to do 3 boxed sets following these instructions at Damask Love. Amber’s creations always come at the time I need them. LOL
But for some reason, Amber’s measurements for the lid, threw me. Cut Base @ 6 1/2 inch by 7 7/8 inch, Score @ 1 inch all 4 sides. Clear acrylic Lid Cut @ same 6 1/2 inch by 7 7/8, Score @ 1 inch on the left and score @ 7.8″ on the right. I thought this was going to leave a 1/8th inch overhang on some sides AND it does. Ugh… However, Amber’s photos do not reflect this at all, so I was really curious and commented on her blog. Everyone was so excited about this project, that they didn’t really get what I was asking about the extra 1/8 inch on 2 sides. Another crafter clarified that I was to score @ 1″ on the 6 1/2″ side and 7/8″ on the 7 1/2″ side. I was physically making the box and it clearly wasn’t working. Wah…So, I made tons of bases and lids in white card stock, and kept tweaking the measurements desperately trying to find the solution. Which, didn’t amount to a hill of beans in the end, because I didn’t have acrylic large enough to go by these new measurements for the lid anyway!! I know….over the borderline crazy, right?…my left eye twitching….and a lot of creative time out the window when I needed to get this craft done….(sigh). Have you ever purchased a pattern that just simply didn’t work because it was off?? The author has looked at it for so long and edited it so much, it has to be right, right? What I ended up with was 6 1/4″ x 7 1/2″, scored @ 7/8″ on all sides. It’s a snuggly fit.
It didn’t matter because I didn’t have acrylic big enough for those measurements. (crazy laughing) I did have acrylic packaging from some Cuttlebug cutting pads, so I cut the flat portion of the top out and layed my base box on it and figured out where to cut and score, for it to work for Me. So, the Thanksgiving set and the Christmas set are done with that. How I figured this out in desperation, was to measure the inner portion of the box lid from my tried and true measurements above done in white card stock, without sides = 4 1/2 ” x 5 3/4″ and I added 5/8″ twice to accomadate the sides, which gave me 5 3/4″ x 7″ to cut my lid with shorter sides, and scored all 4 sides at 5/8″ which is all I could get out of the top of the Cuttlebug cutting pad package and I had 2 pkgs to work with. My boxes for the Thanksgiving and Chrismas set were done like this and look much nicer than the Halloween set, which I just let roll because I was too tired and needed to get these things to Katie. I used score tape to adhere the corners of base box and clear lid. I was not happy with it showing through on the clear lid. Staples would have been better at best. I find that my red liner tape does not hold up over time or warm conditions, so I didn’t use it.
((Now that I’m typing this all out and I’m completely paranoid. Just for grins, I went back and Cut a Lid at 6 1/2 by 7 5/8, following Amber’s directions to a T…. score the left side side at 1 inch, score the right side at 7/8″ easy peasy, right? (this is the end of her instructions). I was curious what would happen if I did it again, turn the card stock one quarter turn and score left at 1″ and 7/8″ on the opposing side, then go trim 1/8th inch over hang off of both the 1″ scored sides, this fits the base box perfectly and the measurements for the lid should have been….. Cut @ 6 3/8 x 7 1/2, score all 4 sides at 7/8″. )) Really? Muhahahahahahaha (crazy, I think I need a drink…laughing) My oh My…. Why couldn’t I get this on the first go around?
Supplies used for Halloween Set: Misc. 65 lb card stock, Spider Web/spider My Favorite Things die set, sentiment from Hero Arts You Scare Me set.
Supplies used for Thanksgiving Set: Misc. 65 lb card stock, Pilgrim hat from 2nd oval up from the bottom (Stampin’UP! Sizzix Framelits Ovals Collection 129381) for hat brim and the top of the hat is from an altered top of the Pilgrim hat box by LifeStyle Crafts using the original band and buckle. Stamps are Inkadinkado $1.00 mini sets Hey Pilgrim and Lets Talk Turkey (Halloween Asst.) I stamped Hey Pilgrim on the outside and Let’s Talk Turkey on the inside.
Supplies used for Christmas Set: Misc. 65 lb card stock, Papertrey Ink Signature Series Snowman Die cut twice and arms layerd inside the 2 die cuts, which didn’t work too well. The arms shown through a bit. Next time I will glue them to the back of the bodies. I used the snowflakes and sentiment from PTI In The Meadow Set and also a Cuttlebug Snowflakes embossing folder on the base card.
A little bit of sponging on each set. And A2 envelopes made with AccuCut’s A2 envelope die from misc. colored paper to semi match the base cards.
Here are the fun sewing projects Katie made:
Store bought tea towels in Green and Navy. She stamped with craft paint onto some scraps of fabric and stitched them to the tea towels. I love how these turned out!! Acrylic paint is tricky to stamp with your rubber or clear stamps, so I did do some touching up with a fine paint brush while the paint was still wet. Kate also made coordinating quilted coasters and a coffee cup cozy. The little rolled flowers were cut from craft felt with the Sizzix 3-D Flowers Bigz die. I cut a layer of card stock with the felt for a clean cut. And a casserole carrier from brown fabric. She did an outstanding job. I’m so proud of her.